Monday, November 22, 2004

November 22, 1963

It was 41 years ago that President John F. Kennedy was killed in Dallas, and it is all so fresh in my memory. It is true, as so often has been said, that people remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the terrible news. I was at Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola, when the announcement was made over the speakers in each classroom that the President had been killed and that all buses would depart shortly.

The immediate answer as to who killed the President was conclusive: Lee Harvey Oswald.

Since then, I have no idea how many Kennedy assassination articles and books I have read, or how many television documentaries and movies I have seen. Other than for that brief period immediately after the assassination, I have never, not once, been able to feel certain that there is not some larger, darker secret about the Kennedy assassination.

It was a dark day in America and in many places all over the world. We all lost our innocence in the sound of those terrible shots.