Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fresh Starts

I'm sitting here waiting for my dial-up connection to download Scansoft's PaperPort 10 Professional (a 258.4 MB download), one of several downloaded programs I lost when my previous hard-drive decided to call it quits. I am greatful that I had backups of all my files, as that would have really represented a huge loss. And I am also greatful for the fast attention Dell Latin America gave to me, getting a new hard drive installed at 9:00 a.m. after having contacted them the previous afternoon. Oh, and they actually delivered exactly as they said they would: "Mr. Lincoln, we don't have the Maxtor 120 GB drive, so we will be sending you a Seagate Barracuda SATA 160 GB drive, if you don't mind."

Now, if that download would only end soon, but it's only about 42% through. I've had to download Windows XP Service Pack 2, Norton Internet Security 2005 (plus all the updates), Acrobat Reader, and a few other programs. We have both DSL and cable internet connections available in San Juan, so maybe it's time to think of upgrading from my old trusty dial-up.