Saturday, July 04, 2009

Lou Gehrig's Speech on July 4th, 1939 and my friend Jorge L. Arroyo Alejandro

On July 4, 1939, Lou Gehrig reminded the world that even though he'd had a bad break, he had an awful lot to be thankful for. Watch a tribute to the Iron Horse which reminds us this Independence Day of all we have to be thankful for in our lives.

This also brings to the minds of many of us at the Puerto Rico Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers the passing away last October of our dear friend and Past President, Jorge L. Arroyo Alejandro, who reminds me of what Lou Gherig would have been like if he had been an attorney. As if fate were calling, Jorge died of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Not too long ago I ran into Jorge's wife, Ana, and one of his beloved daughters. All I can tell you is that I cried a little after meeting them, just feeling their own inner strength. Jorge, you must be watching over them, I know.